After introducing the basic concepts and principles, the course addresses data modeling techniques and practices in four modeling areas: conceptual, logical, physical and dimensional. The course first addresses the collection of user requirements, followed by design approaches for logical and physical models. You will study real-world examples of data models for transactional systems, data marts and enterprise data warehouses. Expert instructors will share their practical experiences.
This is a hands-on course using an industry-leading data modeling tool in class. By the end of the course, you will be able to create data models for enterprise applications.
- Overview of data modeling
- Principles of data modeling
- Types of data modeling: Conceptual, Logical, and Physical
- Logical data modeling: Building data models; Cardinality rules; Transformation rules
- Physical data modeling: Database standards; Domains and classwords; Roll-ups and roll-downs; Data model repository options
- Dimensional data modeling: Star schema modeling; Snow flake modeling
- Top ten mistakes to be avoided