25% off Summer Courses through Aug. 31 and 10% off Fall Courses when you enroll by Aug. 15. Discount is not applicable toward our partner programs: Legal Studies, Paralegal Studies, Digital Marketing Science, and Sales Operations.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
All summer & fall classes are offered remotely—either live-online with an instructor, entirely self-paced, or in a blended online format. Please check our coronavirus update page for our latest announcements.
This course introduces the Linux operating system. Linux is gaining popularity on personal computers, devices, embedded systems and enterprise servers. The course gives students an opportunity to use Linux for personal or professional purposes. Students will learn basic Linux administration, Linux file and directory structure, basic network configuration, shell programming and various utilities available in Linux. The course provides students with a hands-on approach for learning Linux through assignments and projects.
- Open source software basics
- Linux Desktops: KDE, Gnome
- Using consoles (the command line)
- Basic Linux commands like: ls, cat, rm, more/less, cp, mv, head/tail, and many more commands
- Command history, Command pipes, redirection of standard input and output -- to combine commands together
- Using "man"
- Files, File compression: tar, gzip, bz2, zip, File Permissions
- Find and grep basics
- The bash shell, basic shell scripting
- Monitoring and managing system resources: process basics, ps, disk usage, df, du
- Installing software, package management and dependency tracking tools
- Open source programs and utilities: Open Office, etc.
- Basic Networking, physical/IP addressing, ifconfig, ping, DNS basics, basic DHCP
- Interfacing with Windows: using Samba and NFS
- Important startup and configuration files
Note(s): This course is the recommended prerequisite to the Certificate in Linux Programming and Administration. Students are encouraged to use their own personal computers with Debian for practice. Instructor will provide installation instruction on the first day of class. Options include VMWare, VirtualBox, LiveCD, disk partition or separate drive.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Wed, 09-09-2020||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||ONLINE|
|Wed, 09-16-2020||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||ONLINE|
|Wed, 09-23-2020||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||ONLINE|
|Wed, 09-30-2020||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||ONLINE|
|Wed, 10-07-2020||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||ONLINE|
|Wed, 10-14-2020||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||ONLINE|
|Wed, 10-21-2020||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||ONLINE|
|Wed, 10-28-2020||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||ONLINE|
|Wed, 11-04-2020||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||ONLINE|
Ask us any questions you may have about this course.