This course studies the philosophy, history and development of early childhood programs. You'll examine the teacher-child relationship and how existing programs meet the needs of preschool children and review programs to evaluate how they meet the criteria of a quality learning environment. You'll get a chance to see how ECE programs operate in the real world by attending mandatory field observations at sites designated by the instructor.
- History of early childhood education
- Types of programs
- Defining the young child
- Developmental and learning theories
- Teaching: A professional commitment
- Curriculum: Creating a context for learning and play
- Issues and trends in early childhood education