Next Generation DNA Sequencing (NGS) has transformed our understanding of genomics. The ability to sequence a human genome at an incredibly low cost has vastly expanded the potential applications of genomics in cancer diagnostics, pathogen identification, forensic human identification and genetic disease diagnosis. For researchers, NGS is a powerful tool that allows you to address questions that were impossible to pursue just a few years ago. This course, taught by a leading expert in the field, begins with the basics of this revolutionary process and then delves into specific applications of NGS in research and clinical settings. You will develop the knowledge needed to perform analyses from sample prep to generating the final data.
The course begins with an introduction to genomics. It then reviews the primary methods used for highly parallel sequencing technologies. The course covers standard workflows from sample prep to final data analysis. This is the only course available in the Bay Area that builds comprehensive knowledge in next generation DNA sequencing.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Gain an understanding of the principles of Next generation sequencing.
- Learn how to generate NGS data.
- Apply NGS for research and clinical applications.
- Primary Approaches to Generating Massive Amounts of DNA Sequence Data
- The Four Main Steps to Next Generation DNA Sequencing
- The Four Main Research Applications of DNA Sequencing
- Clinical Applications
Working knowledge of:
- Communication and collaboration tools such as Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, or LibreOffice
- Learning Management Systems (LMS) such as Canvas including navigation links, modules, etc.
Additional InformationPlease review section notes to view the full schedule.
Completion of "Bioinformatics Tools, Databases and Methods or Experimental Methods in Molecular Biology" is recommended.
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Estimated Cost: TBD
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.