See our latest COVID updates.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Explain the basics of designing embedded Linux
- Master the requirements to setup a Linux cross development environment
- Use GNU tool chain to compile Linux Kernel and applications code
- Develop and download applications to run on an embedded Linux target system
- Describe the steps to write, compile and load/unload Linux Kernel modules
- Summarize the Linux File System and initramfs (Initial RAM File System)
- An overview of embedded and real-time systems
- Creating a cross-compiler
- Linux device tree usage
- Building and configuring a custom Linux kernel
- Building and debugging Linux application source code using a GDB debugger
- Writing kernel modules and user applications for embedded Linux using C language
- Linux sysfs interface for GPIO
- The basics of POSIX threads and the RTAI (real-time application interface) environment
Note(s): To do projects, students are expected to have access to Debian Linux on their computers. Options include Virtual Box, LiveCD, disk partition or separate drive. Instructor will not cover the Linux installation topic in class. For students needing help with Linux, "Introduction to Linux" is recommended. Students should come prepared with knowledge of the suggested prerequisites.This course requires students to purchase a board (approx. $50, not included in the tuition) to complete the assignments. Students may either use Raspberry PI 2 Model B or Raspberry PI 3 Model B (details to be discussed in class). Students are expected to use their own Linux-based computers to do the programming project.
Skills Needed: Working knowledge of C programming language and UNIX/Linux operating-system internals. Advanced C programming recommended.
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Tue, 01-17-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 01-24-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 01-31-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 02-07-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 02-14-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 02-21-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 02-28-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 03-07-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 03-14-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 03-21-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|