See our latest COVID updates.
Note to Students
Dear Prospective Workplace Cultural Competency Student,
We are excited that you are interested in pursuing a specialization in this important field of study. We are, however, making some changes to our curriculum. While you are invited to enroll in any open course and pick up practical skills for the field, we are not accepting new candidates to the specialization program at this time. Questions? Please reach out to Tanya Doyle, program manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
— UCSC Silicon Valley Extension
DEI through the lens of HR leaders
Fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace has become the priority in organizations committed to an organizational culture where all people can prosper. In the Workplace Cultural Competency specialization, we explore ways to identify and correct systemic issues, help leaders drive strategic initiatives, that support cultural and systemic change.
We work with tools for effective intercultural global business practices and help you guide executives and managers to recognize obstacles, build equitable systems, and implement DEI initiatives that positively impact the bottom line of an organization.
- Understand the HR role in leading DEI initiatives.
- Identify and correct systematic issues prevailing negative impact on organizational culture.
- Learn to track DEI initiatives that support workforce engagement and productivity.
- Prevent misunderstands that could lead to formal grievances.
- Assist leaders with the implementation of DEI initiatives.
- Apply research-based strategies to intercultural business activities.
- Coach employees through cultural transitions.
- Strategize use of cultural resources.
- Conduct effective conflict resolution meetings.
- Identify and understand different perspectives and approaches to the study of conflict.
- Integrate conflict resolution into various organizational cultures.
- Recognize mediator and party biases and cultural differences in a resolution process.
- Implement the optimal mediation style for a dispute
- Understand the mediation process when participating in an EEOC mediation
- People business partners
- DEI program managers
- HR professionals
Estimated Cost: $1,985 (You pay only for courses you enroll in.)
Program Requirements: 6.5 credits
Minimum Hours of Instruction:
Estimated Duration: A student can complete this specialization in 6–9 months.
1. Required Course(s): Three Required
2. Completion Review: