25% off all 2020 Summer Courses
Courses starting June through August 31. Discount applied at checkout. Not applicable toward Legal or Paralegal Studies courses.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
All summer classes are offered in a live-online format. Please check our coronavirus update page for our latest announcements.
The journey of IoT data—from sensor to strategy
Learn how you can participate in the emerging market of the Internet of Things (IoT) that is propelling companies, governments, individuals toward a new level of cost savings and environmental conservation. Hundreds of billions of dollars are spent globally to gather data on people, the environment, and the activities around us. The market is expected to triple in size in the next five years.
In this specialization, you will follow the journey of that data. You'll learn about sensors, networks, cloud services, and the data science that makes sense of it all.
You will have an opportunity to work with experts in the industry, make a working IoT product in class using intelligent lighting, and to apply effective data analysis concepts to your business projects and to your everyday life.
IoT Specialization Objectives
- Understand how an IoT system works from data acquisition to data processing and transportation to actuation
- Practice with basic statistical concepts, such as random variables, variance, covariance, correlation, distributions, confidence intervals, statistical significance, and hypothesis testing
- Gain a high-level understanding of IoT components (sensors and actuators, IoT networking and hardware, Python basics, data analytics, database management, cloud services and IoT security)
- Use sensors, data processing, cloud services, wireless communication, and LED light sources to complete a real-life intelligent lighting system
- Build practical experience using real data and data science math to make evidence-based business decisions regarding capital markets, startups, personal finance and investments, and risk management
This IoT specialization is provided in partnership with Microfacturing Institutes, a public benefit corporation that brings highly marketable technology skills to students of all ages, quickly and affordably.
Current and former students who sign up for the free Microfacturing Institutes Jobs Program become part of an IoT employment database that is used by leading employers around the globe.
See current job listings.
"The Internet of Things, or IoT, has skill sets that are applicable to nearly every growth industry in all sorts of jobs and applications. If you’ve built these skills and can apply them well, there’s a good job for you out there. We’ll do our best to help you find it."
— Microfacturing Institutes
SUMMER 2020 DISCOUNT
Microfacturing Institutes is offering a tremendous, one-time discount to all UCSC Extension students enrolling in any of these new IoT courses taught during the summer session.
Enroll now and pay only $150 per course. Enroll in all three courses and earn a Specialization in IoT for only $450 by the end of summer! Note: the 25% summer discount is included in this great price.
This specialization includes:
Designed for nontechnical people, you will take a tour of the entire IoT ecosystem—from hardware and software to networking and cloud service providers—to understand the IoT building blocks and what to expect in an IoT career.
Learn the fundamentals of cloud-connected data acquisition, data transport, and manipulation and complete your own sensor-connected intelligent lighting system.
Estimated Cost: $2,350 (Introductory offer for summer 2020 only – $450) (you pay only for courses you enroll in)
Required Credits: 9 CEUs (Not for UC credit)
Duration: 3 months
Specialization Inquiry Form
You can enroll in a specialization program at any time during your studies.
Once you create your student account, you can enroll in a specialization program. Note that the benefit of enrolling early is that it locks in your specialization requirements. This means that even if program requirements change, the requirements to complete your specialization will remain the same for you.
- You must enroll in the specialization program before enrolling in the Specialization Completion Review.
You have a total of three years to complete the courses for a specialization.
All the necessary units in a specialization must be completed within a three-year window. The clock begins on the first day of your first course in the program. For example, if you started a course on Sept. 5, 2019, you would have to complete all of the required units in this certificate by Sept. 4, 2022.
- Enrolling in a specialization program does not trigger the beginning of the three-year window. It begins the first day of the first course that applies to the program.
- The Completion Review process does not have to occur within the three-year timeframe.