Grading and Credits

Academic Credit and Course Numbering

The following information can be located under each course title in the catalog: the academic number (usually preceded by the letter X), the discipline in which credit is granted, and the quarter-unit value of the course.


Course numbers are classified as follows

1-99: Lower division
100-199: Upper division
200-299: Graduate division
300-399: Professional courses in Education
400-499: Professional courses in other departments
800 Series or non-numbered courses: Noncredit or Continuing Education Units issued. (Academic credit and letter grade not applicable.)


All credit is offered in quarter-system units. Semester equivalents are:

Quarter: 1 1 1/2 2 3 4 5
Semester: 2/3 1 1 1/3 2 2 2/3 3 1/3

Some courses bear the designation "credit approval pending" after the X-number listed under the course title. When this catalog went to press, these courses were in the review process leading to approval for academic credit.

Continuing Education Units (CEUS)

Continuing Education Units were established by a national task force of educational associations and are intended for use where employers, relicensing agencies, or others require a specified number of hours of study, and noncredit study is acceptable for fulfillment of those requirements. One CEU is awarded for each 10 hours of contact partici pation. Because CEUs are related to contact time, grading is not appropriate.


Grading at UCSC uses the following Letter Grade Scale:

           Grade Value Range Point Value
  A 93 - 100 4.0
  A- 90 - 92 3.7
  B+ 88 - 89 3.3
  B 83 - 87 3.0
  B- 80 - 82 2.7
  C+ 78 - 79 2.3
  C 73 - 77 2.0
  C- 70 - 72 1.7
  D+ 68 - 69 1.3
  D 63 - 67 1.0
  D- 60 - 62 0.7
  F   0 - 59 0.0

Special Circumstances

W – Withdrawal
Credit – Equivalent to a grade of “D” or higher
No Credit – Did not fulfill course requirements
Incomplete – Course to be finished within 1 quarter
Repeated – Course is repeated (highest grade remains)

Grading Options

When students enroll, letter grading is the default. The Credit/No Credit option is available only to students in good academic standing. Requests for Credit/No Credit must be submitted to Student Services via by the last day of the course. Please note that only Letter Grades of C- or higher are permitted to be applicable to a certificate, and for most Employer or Government sponsored (WIOA, VA, etc.) payment programs.

Alternative Grade Request Form