Housing and Transportation
How to Find an Apartment
There are numerous options for finding an apartment! However, you should always avoid scams! Do not pay, wire fund, accept money, or provide your personal and financial information to anyone you have not met in person.
Here are some of our recommendations, many of them have apps on for your phone as well:
- Kapi Residence: Provides fully-furnished student housing that is very affordable, convenient and easy to book. South Bay accommodation is available so please inquire with Kapi.
- Craigslist: Classified ads list popular among people to search for rooms, roommates, and apartments.
- Homestays: Stay with a local family or group of students. There are many organizations that connect international students to local families. One local organization, based in Silicon Valley, is ISP.
- ESL Housing: An international student housing company which specializes in apartments for international students. You can learn more about them by visiting their website at https://www.eslhousing.com/.
- Airbnb: Find short term (a few days to a few months) stays while you begin your studies and settle into the Silicon Valley area.
- Facebook Market Place: Are you already on Facebook? See the Market Place and search for accommodation.
- ESLhousing: An International Student housing company which specializes in apartments for international students.
- Trulia: An apartment and housing search engine. Find apartment rentals, sales, and roommate situations.
- Padmapper: Another very popular rental search engine that combines searches from many other sites.
- Roomster: A new way to search and find housemate and roommate situation accommodation.
US apartment terminology and San Jose prices
Often times, you will be expected to pay one-month rent + one month's rent deposit when signing a new lease agreement.
Studio (average price $1600 - $2000): A studio apartment is one large room with a small kitchenette and bathroom.
One-bedroom apartment ($1800 - $2300): One-bedroom apartments have a bedroom, a living room, a kitchen, and a bathroom.
Two-bedroom apartment ($2000 - $3000): Two-bedroom apartments have two bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen, and a bathroom.
Room in a house or apartment ($700 - $1400): Maybe the most popular way to live in the Bay Area and bring costs down.
Getting around the Bay Area can be tough without a car. Depending on your preferences, you can spend very little ($) or a lot ($$$$), on transportation.
Applying for a CA Driver's License: Click here for instructions on how you can apply for your California driver's license.
Car Leases: Instead of purchasing a new car, you can opt to do a short-term lease and pay month-to-month. VOLVO, in particular, has a leasing program for international students so check them out for pricing and terms.
Bus Service: VTA is the public transportation authority (single ride is $2.25 and a monthly pass is $80).
Train Service: CALTrain (map) runs from San Francisco to Gilroy and rides range from $3.75 to $30 depending on the numbers of zones (1-6) you're riding through. Another option is the BART (map and cost calculator) which covers most of San Francisco and the East Bay but none of San Jose.