The MERN stack consists of client, server and database skills. The course explains the four components and the role each has in building a modern, sophisticated Web application, and then covers the configuration, implementation and programming details. You will learn to build the Node.js server, include Express in the app, interface with the document-oriented database MongoDB, and use React and Hooks on the client side. The client-server communication is through RESTful API. Class assignments and projects will give you hands-on experience.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Describe the web application stack end to end
- Explain the basics of building reusable web components
- Create back-end code using Node.js, ExpressJS, and MongoDB
- Develop front-end code using React and Hooks
- Apply the RESTful API standards
- Introduction to the MERN stack
- Building the Node.js server
- Connecting MongoDB and Node.js
- Interacting with MongoDB using Mongoose
- Configuring and using Express in a Web app
- Implementing RESTful API using Express in Node.js
- Understanding React principles
- Implementing React application
- Understanding the front-end state management using context and hooks
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Estimated Cost: TBD
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.