Saturday Phone Service Interruption
There will be a brief pause in our phone service beginning at noon on Saturday, May 15 through May 16. For course emergencies, you may reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Risk Management in Personal Financial Planning | FPLN.X405
This course provides a survey of risk management with a focus on applying the fundamentals of risk management to such personal issues as premature death, medical costs, long-term care, property and liability exposures. After a review of the fundamentals of risk management, this course covers the techniques and strategies of risk management, including the use of various forms of insurance and risk retention and reduction. You'll use readings, case studies, in-class discussion, and a review of real-world situations to understand of the often-overlooked, yet critically important, dimensions of personal risk management.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to:
- Explain the risk management process.
- Analyze and evaluate risk exposures.
- Compare and contrast group and individual health insurance alternatives.
- Describe the differences between short term and long-term disability and calculate disability needs.
- Identify the triggers for Long Term Care and advise about LTC options.
- Explain the basics of annuity contracts and understand the differences among types of annuities.
- Understand Individual Life Insurance, the underwriting process, types of life insurance policies, and provide recommendations.
- Recognize the complications of closely held businesses and how to mitigate the associated risks.
- Perform all types of insurance needs analysis.
- Define and communicate main insurance policy terms.
- Identify the components of property and casualty insurance; auto, liability and home.
- Understand credit reports and scores and how to establish and maintain good credit.
- Provide an overview of the social security system.
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.