Building Closed Memorial Day Weekend
The Silicon Valley Campus is closed Saturday, May 27 through Monday, May 29, 2023, in honor of Memorial Day. We will reopen for classes on Tuesday.
This course provides an introduction to the field of personal financial planning. Topics include the technical content associated with a personal financial plan, such as cash flow, debt, risk management, investments, income tax planning, retirement planning, estate planning, education planning and basic concepts in economics. The course also provides an overview of topics relevant to the financial planning profession and the practice of financial planning, including the CFP Board’s 7-Step Financial Planning Process and Standards of Conduct, as well as communication skills associated with building client relationships.
This course provides the basic framework of knowledge about the financial planning profession and practice areas that comprise personal financial planning.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Describe the financial planning process and approaches to financial planning analysis and recommendations.
- Explain behavioral finance and communication techniques used in personal financial planning.
- Have a high-level understanding of the technical areas of expertise required of a CFP® professional, including risk management, investments, income tax, retirement planning, education planning and estate planning.
- Discuss key economic concepts and how they may affect a personal financial plan.
- Implement technical, business and communication skills utilized by financial planning practitioners.
- Understand the business and regulatory environment within which the personal financial planning profession operates, including the CFP Board’s Code of Ethics and Standards of Conduct, and potential career paths for a Certified Financial Planner™ practitioner.
Note(s) A financial calculator, such as the HP12-C or equivalent is required.
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Estimated Cost: TBD
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.
Speak to a student services representative.
Call (408) 861-3860