Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Fall classes are offered remotely—either live-online with an instructor, entirely self-paced, or in a blended online format. Please check our coronavirus update page for our latest announcements.
Personal Financial Planning, Survey
This course introduces the professional and technical content of personal financial planning. It emphasizes the identification and quantification of financial objectives and the interrelated facets of a wide range of technical material. Topics include data gathering, income taxation, investment analysis and procedure, insurance, employment benefit plans, debt management, estate planning and cash-flow management. This course also covers the ethics, strategies and processes of professional practice and CFP® standards of practice. Included in the course work is an introduction to some basic concepts of economics.
Note(s): An HP-12C or equivalent financial calculator is required.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to:
- Have a good understanding of the career opportunities and career paths for CFP® practitioners. Students will be introduced to various professionals and business models
- Be able to evaluate how clients’ beliefs, culture, and psychology influence financial behavior
- Know how to identify the technical, business and communication skills utilized by a personal financial planning practitioner
- Have a cursory knowledge of several subject areas required of a CFP® including: Income Tax, Investments, Risk Management, College Funding, Retirement Planning, and Estate Planning
- Understand the background and the business, structural, and regulatory environment in which the personal financial planning profession operates and, in particular, that of a CFP®
- Be comfortable with the basic economic principals such and supply and demand, GDP, the business cycle, interest rates, exchange rates
- Be familiar with the steps involved in the personal financial planning process and recognize unethical practices based on the CFP® Board Standards of Professional Conduct.
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.
Ask us any questions you may have about this course.