Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Enjoy a fully remote summer of professional education at the Silicon Valley Campus and the re-emergence of in-person courses in September. Visit our COVID update page.
Mobile Interface Design | UEWD.X412
There are hundreds of thousands of mobile apps in the App Store, but only a small portion of them have innovative design principles, friendly user interfaces, and most importantly, widespread adoption by users. In this hands-on lab and lecture course, you will learn the core principles for creating effective user interfaces for mobile devices incorporating iOS 14/15, Android Material Design, responsive/parallax design, lean mobile UX, form factors, GPS, gestures, tactile experiences, sensors, commerce, tagging and more. You will discover useful patterns for developing mobile products and design a mobile user experience using an iterative and user-centered design process.
The school provides short-term licenses of commercial prototyping tools (Balsamiq Mockups and Fluid UI) for sketching wireframe and mobile prototyping. Designing your own prototype will provide opportunities to explore new types of touch- and gesture-based user interaction that can expand the functional possibilities of your apps. This exercise will demonstrate how mobile products can be rapidly developed and released to the market.
The course covers the trends, industry practices and techniques for the most popular platforms, and by the end of the course, you will have created an engaging user interface prototype for a mobile application or the web. This mobile UI prototype will incorporate the new conceptual and technical skills learned, and can also function as a portfolio piece for future endeavors.
- Latest iOS 14/15 and Android Material Design Human Interface Guidelines
- Responsive Design/Parallax UX Design
- iOS 14/15 and Android UI patterns
- Cryptocurrency & Blockchain UX
- Lean Mobile UX
- Windows mobile UX/UI design
- Mobile design strategy
- Mobile platforms and technology
- Meaningful mobile experiences
- Form factor user interface
- Low fidelity mobile concepts
- Mobile prototyping software
- Prototyping methods
- Mobile storytelling workflow
- Gesture experiences
- High fidelity mobile prototyping
- Designing for the developing world
- Tactile interfaces
- Mobile tagging
- Methods to pitch your product to VC
- Design portfolio showcasing your app
Skills needed: Familiarity with a drawing tool is recommended for the exercises (e.g. Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, or Sketch) but not required.
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.