Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Enjoy a fully remote summer of professional education at the Silicon Valley Campus and the re-emergence of in-person courses in September. Visit our COVID update page.
IoT for Work, Life and Play | ITEC.823
Smart cities, buildings, living spaces, and the environment of our future will depend on advances in the way we light our world. In this course, you will gain an understanding of IoT devices by focusing on cloud connected intelligent lighting devices and systems. You will learn to imagine, create, and operate them through a hands-on project that lets you see your ILS designs in action.
The course includes an introduction to lighting physics and human optics, lighting devices including LEDs, and building LED-based circuits, as well as wireless communication. You will then learn the fundamentals of cloud-connected data acquisition, data transport and manipulation using intelligent lighting as an example. A study of hardware, software, programming process, wireless communications protocols, and lighting itself follows before you learn to interface with cloud services such as Amazon Web Services. The final project is to implement IoT system concept planning, creation, and implementation of data flows into a sensor-connected intelligent lighting system.
By working with the technology currently installed in cutting-edge intelligent lighting and smart city programs around the globe, students gain highly relevant job and entrepreneurial skills upon completion of this course.
- Understand how an IoT system works from data acquisition to data processing and transportation to actuation
- Learn the basics of light and color
- Understand LED components and luminaires
- Hands-on practical building of an LED breadboard
- Exercise cloud-connected intelligent lighting systems
- Create a web page to control your light through the cloud
- Learn the basics of wireless networks and how they work
- Study radio options for IoT systems
- Learn about antennae and RF propagation
- Hands-on experience implementing an IoT system through a Capstone project
- How to work as a team on a large project
This course is offered in a hybrid format. You are encouraged to attend live-online meetings twice weekly with the instructors, view short, video-based lessons, and complete weekly case-based homework assignments. Online class participation is part of your final grade.
Synchronous online meeting days/time: Tuesdays & Thursdays 7-8:00 pm
While there will be some high-level programming, instructors will guide beginners through new technology and no experience is necessary.
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.