Fall Hours • COVID-19 Update
The Silicon Valley Campus is open 4–9:30 p.m. on Monday–Friday and 8 a.m.–5 p.m. on Saturday.
IoT Creator | ITEC.825
IoT Creator is a visual flow-based IoT system builder that eliminates the complexities of creating functional cloud-connected projects. IoT Creator combines the graphic development environment, drag and drop IoT function blocks, connectivity to cloud databases, APIs, and many other IoT resources with integrated data illustration and Graphical User Interface (GUI) to access and control systems from anywhere in the world.
In this course, students will gain an understanding of cloud-connected systems by focusing on the implementation of an Intelligent Lawn Sprinkler system. This system is a real life conduit and transposes to many other cloud connected IoT projects. The primary objective is to gain confidence in the fundamentals of cloud connected data acquisition, data transport and manipulation using the cloud connected sprinkler system as an example. This includes the hardware, software, programming process, wireless communications protocols, and actuation, as well as learning how to interface with cloud services such as weather forecasts and creating web-based graphical user interfaces. The students will gain hands-on experience with a real sense of accomplishment.
Throughout the project, the students will be introduced to IoT system concept planning, creation, and implementation of data flows. This course emphasizes the realization of the learned material in the creation of a usable cloud connected project. The course is self-paced with weekly debug sessions to overcome barriers of understanding and project implementation.
Students will be working with the same technology that’s being installed in cutting-edge cloud connected systems around the globe right now. They will take away highly relevant job and entrepreneurial skills upon completion of this course.
- Understand how an IoT system works from data acquisition to data processing and transportation to actuation
- Learn the basics of APIs, JSON, SQLite, MQTT, and IoT Creator
- Understand cloud connected components and actuators
- Hands-on practical building of functioning and scale-able system
- Exercise cloud-connected intelligent systems
- Create a webpage to control your system through the cloud
- Learn the basics of communications networks and how they work
- Gain hands-on experience implementing an IoT system through a real life project
This course is being offered in a hybrid format. Some content within the course is asynchronous, and can be taken at the students own pace. A student will also be expected to meet weekly deadlines and attend class (online) once per week.
Synchronous online meeting days/time: Thursdays 5:30-7:00 pm
- Save your seat and help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- ACCESSING CANVAS—Learn more about accessing your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.