This course provides a comprehensive overview of investments through readings, case studies, problem-solving exercises and discussion. This balance of practical application and theory should be useful to both the practitioner and the investor. The course emphasizes the structure, regulation and operation of investment markets; understanding modern portfolio theory, asset allocation and risk control; detailed analysis of fixed income, equity and derivative investing; portfolio design and construction; fulfilling fiduciary responsibilities; and investment performance measurement and reporting.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Describe the types and functions of markets, investment strategies such as active and passive, mutual funds, ETFs, options, hedge funds, etc.
- Understand the characteristics, uses, and taxation of investment vehicles.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of mutual funds and ETFs, risk vs reward, various performance measuring techniques, various asset pricing models, and the general process of portfolio construction and how to analyze changes to a current portfolio. Participants will also learn the difference between suitability and best interest in recommendations and the difference between compliance and ethics.
- Explain option pricing basics, the steps to creating a portfolio including risk assessment, optimum mix of risk and riskless assets, Technical vs. Fundamental analysis, the role of statistics in portfolio assessment, portfolio performance measuring techniques, taxation of various investment accounts, etc. Participants will also learn ways to explain investment concepts in ways that will make the concepts understandable to others.
- Identify ways to reduce risk, enhance returns, or both. Participants will learn to identify ways to manage their own or client portfolios under differing market conditions.
- Understand and navigate market cycles.
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Estimated Cost: TBD
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.