Visit our COVID update page.
Designed for students intending to become financial planning professionals, this course focuses on the interrelationship between common income tax rules and planning techniques that are applicable to individuals.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Understand and explain fundamental tax law.
- Complete a Form 1040.
- Differentiate among sole proprietorships, partnerships, LLPs, LLCs, S-Corps and C-Corps.
- Outline compliance rules for trusts and estates.
- Help business owners select appropriate forms of ownership and self-employed retirement plans.
- Explain Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT).
- Identify tax reduction and management strategies.
- Understand the tax consequences of property transactions.
- Identify passive and at-risk activities and explain how taxation of these differs.
- Read and understand basic tax information forms 1099, W-2, 1098, etc.
- Provide recommendations to special circumstances such as supporting an adult parent or child, special needs, and divorce.
- Advise about types of charitable gifts and charitable entities and calculate the maximum deduction allowed in a tax year.
- Sales and exchanges
- Real estate transactions
- Compensation planning and stock options
- Retirement plans
- Business entities
- Overall coordination with the individual's financial plan.
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Wed, 04-19-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 04-26-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 05-03-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 05-10-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 05-17-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 05-24-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 05-31-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 06-07-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 06-14-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 06-21-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|