25% off all 2020 Summer Courses
Discount applies to courses starting before September 1. Not applicable toward Legal or Paralegal Studies courses.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
All summer & fall classes are offered remotely—either live-online with an instructor, entirely self-paced, or in a blended online format. Please check our coronavirus update page for our latest announcements.
Applied Mathematics for Financial Planning
This course covers the basic analytic tools and mathematical techniques used in personal financial planning. The emphasis is on understanding and applying quantitative concepts and techniques such as present/future value analysis, discounted cash flow, internal rate of return, measurements of investment performance, analysis of equities and fixed-income investments using statistical tools, evaluation of mortgages, and cash-flow planning for retirement and education. The course is specifically oriented toward practical problem solving.
Note(s): An HP-12C financial calculator is required.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to:
- Apply TVM principles to solve problems in various financial planning and investment applications, including retirement and education funding, consumer purchases, bond pricing and the analysis of investment alternatives.
- Create personal balance sheets and income and expense statements and perform relevant analysis, including the calculation of personal financial ratios.
- Understand and calculate the impact of inflation on savings and investment plans and goals.
- Define and calculate the various measures of "average return", and identify where used.
- Calculate volatility in investment returns and interpret results.
- Achieve a basic understanding of equities (stocks), options, mutual funds and bonds in order to complete computations relevant to pricing and other analyses.
- Define and measure risk for different types of investments (bonds, equities) and calculate industry defined risk adjusted return metrics.
- Master the HP12C calculator for various computations.
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.
Ask us any questions you may have about this course.