Building Closed Memorial Day Weekend
The Silicon Valley Campus is closed Saturday, May 27 through Monday, May 29, 2023, in honor of Memorial Day. We will reopen for classes on Tuesday.
This course covers the basic analytic tools and mathematical techniques used in personal financial planning. The emphasis is on understanding and applying quantitative concepts and techniques such as present/future value analysis, discounted cash flow, internal rate of return, measurements of investment performance, analysis of equities and fixed-income investments using statistical tools, evaluation of mortgages, and cash-flow planning for retirement and education. The course is specifically oriented toward practical problem solving.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Apply TVM principles to solve problems in various financial planning and investment applications, including retirement and education funding, consumer purchases, bond pricing and the analysis of investment alternatives.
- Create personal balance sheets and income and expense statements and perform relevant analysis, including the calculation of personal financial ratios.
- Understand and calculate the impact of inflation on savings and investment plans and goals.
- Define and calculate the various measures of "average return", and identify where used.
- Calculate volatility in investment returns and interpret results.
- Achieve a basic understanding of equities (stocks), options, mutual funds and bonds in order to complete computations relevant to pricing and other analyses.
- Define and measure risk for different types of investments (bonds, equities) and calculate industry defined risk adjusted return metrics.
- Master the HP12C calculator for various computations.
Note(s) A HP-12C financial calculator is required.
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Start / End Date||Quarter Units||Cost||Instructor|
|06-29-2023 to 08-31-2023||3.0||$725||Schedule||Enroll|
Final Date To Enroll: 06-29-2023
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Thu, 06-29-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 07-06-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 07-13-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 07-20-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 07-27-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 08-03-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 08-10-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 08-17-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 08-24-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Fri, 08-25-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 08-31-2023||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Final Coursework Due||ONLINE|