Fall Hours • COVID-19 Update
The Silicon Valley Campus is open 4–9:30 p.m. on Monday–Friday and 8 a.m.–5 p.m. on Saturday.
Applied Mathematics for Financial Planning | FPLN.X409
This course covers the basic analytic tools and mathematical techniques used in personal financial planning. The emphasis is on understanding and applying quantitative concepts and techniques such as present/future value analysis, discounted cash flow, internal rate of return, measurements of investment performance, analysis of equities and fixed-income investments using statistical tools, evaluation of mortgages, and cash-flow planning for retirement and education. The course is specifically oriented toward practical problem solving.
Note(s): An HP-12C financial calculator is required.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to:
- Apply TVM principles to solve problems in various financial planning and investment applications, including retirement and education funding, consumer purchases, bond pricing and the analysis of investment alternatives.
- Create personal balance sheets and income and expense statements and perform relevant analysis, including the calculation of personal financial ratios.
- Understand and calculate the impact of inflation on savings and investment plans and goals.
- Define and calculate the various measures of "average return", and identify where used.
- Calculate volatility in investment returns and interpret results.
- Achieve a basic understanding of equities (stocks), options, mutual funds and bonds in order to complete computations relevant to pricing and other analyses.
- Define and measure risk for different types of investments (bonds, equities) and calculate industry defined risk adjusted return metrics.
- Master the HP12C calculator for various computations.
- Save your seat and help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- ACCESSING CANVAS—Learn more about accessing your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Thu, 01-13-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 01-20-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 01-27-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 02-03-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 02-10-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 02-17-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 03-03-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 03-10-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 03-17-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 03-24-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|