The nationally acclaimed core paralegal curriculum is a 14-week intensive program designed for beginning and advanced legal workers, such as legal secretaries, file clerks, and paralegals without formal paralegal training. While not a University of California, Santa Cruz-designated certificate program, the Paralegal Core Certificate Course© taught through the Center for Legal Studies (CLS) meets state of California paralegal certification requirements, and culminates in a certificate of completion. The instruction is practice-oriented and focuses on high-demand paralegal skills. Curriculum includes:
- Legal terminology, documentation, ethics, and the litigation process;
- The evidentiary predicate—an introduction to the rules of evidence and civil procedure;
- Identification of relevant authority;
- Legal research techniques for use in legal memoranda, motions, and briefs;
- Shepardizing® statutes, case law, the West Key Number System®, and the use of computerized legal research terminal; and
- Legal writing and appellate procedure, emphasizing preparation and critique of legal memoranda, the interoffice memorandum of law and an appellate brief.
Student research assignments are thoroughly discussed and critiqued.
The subject material for this course is provided in two seven-week modules: Paralegal I and Paralegal II. Your course fee includes both sessions. At the conclusion of Paralegal I, you will be asked to enroll in Paralegal II. Registration for Paralegal II is handled through CLS, not through UCSC Extension.
For Paralegal II, you are required to purchase Westlaw® access directly from CLS. CLS will send student logon information on the first day of class.
Learn more about curriculum details and purchase required text books and Westlaw access at www.legalstudies.com, or by contacting CLS at (800) 522-7737 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students in the Center for Legal Studies program are accountable to the UCSC Extension refund policy and associated fees. Learn more by visiting the UCSC Extension policy section on our website ucsc-extension.edu.