The course emphasizes fundamental concepts such as transmission line analysis, slew rate, termination, etc. It introduces the basic IO logic, timing analysis and package model, and covers bit error rate, bi-directional IO and decision feedback filters. It does not cover complete circuit designs of the latest IO schemes or board design. Because most solutions are silicon-based, ESD (electro static discharge) concepts and techniques will also be discussed. A circuit simulation tool will be offered to students for exercises but its instruction is not part of the course.
- Chip interface problems
- Transmission line analysis
- Basic IO circuits
- Various logic families: TTL, CMOS, 3.3 volt CMOS, 1.2 volt CMOS, LVDS
- High-speed communications
- Common interface techniques and schemes
- Timing analysis and package model
- Electro static discharge (ESD)
- Optical communications
Skills Needed: A basic course in circuit design and understanding of basic electromagnetic physics.