As an international student enrolled in a certificate program, you are eligible to apply for an unpaid internship
in your field of study and have two options:
You can gain credit for unpaid internships by enrolling in UCSC Extension’s internship course, “Business Practices for International Students,” for 3 units per quarter. In order to receive credit, interns must volunteer a minimum of 90 hours during the quarter they are enrolled. Interns may volunteer more than 90 hours, but will only receive a total of 3 units per quarter.
1. Identify several key companies where you would like to intern. Start-ups are more flexible and open to the possibility of having an intern.
UCSC Extension Internship letter which explains the program to potential internship partners.
Please Note: If you decide to seek placement assistance with our Internship Coordinator, we cannot guarantee placement, but will do our best helping you secure an internship.
2. If you are selected for an internship, your new supervisor will need to complete and submit this
confirmation letter. This letter includes:
3. Once you have secured an internship and we have received a confirmation letter, you can register for the “Business Practices for International Students” course for $200. In order to apply for the course, contact the Internship Coordinator and forward the offer letter via e-mail if the company has not already.
4. At the end of each quarter your supervisor must submit a short evaluation of your work. Your supervisor can submit a letter via e-mail directly to the Internship Coordinator or use this form. In addition, please use this form to evaluate the company at the end of your internship, so that we may issue you credit.
5. You will receive a pass/no pass grade.
|Quarter||Internship Letter Due||Quarter Ends||Evaluation Due|
|Winter||February 5||March 31||April 7|
|Spring||April 30||June 15||June 22|
|Summer||July 6||August 31||September 7|
|Fall||October 6||December 31||January 7|