Frequently Asked Questions


What Fees Are Non-Refundable?

Registration fees, certificate and award application fees, and special requests are non-refundable. All refunds are put on account toward future enrollment, unless otherwise requested.

What If You Want to Switch Sections?

Dropping a section to switch to another section of the same course is still considered a drop.

Students who enroll in a section, but do not attend, have the option of dropping prior to the final class meeting to avoid a negative impact on their official academic record. Instructors do not have the authority to drop a student.

What Happens if a Course is Cancelled?

UCSC Extension reserves the right to discontinue, postpone or combine courses, programs, and/or change instructors without notice. Refunds prompted by a cancellation or discontinuation will be made in full to your student account for future enrollments. Refunds to the original form of payment can be processed on request.

Special programs may require deposits. It is the responsibility of the student to comply with the financial obligations, deadlines and refund policies established and published for these programs.

When Can You Drop a Course?

Students may drop a course at any time before the final class meeting or the end date of an online course. You will only be eligible for a refund, minus a $40 processing fee, if your drop request is received three (3) business days before the course start date. Business days are Monday through Friday, not including holidays. Courses dropped after the first day of class will be given a "W" (withdrawal) grade, which will have no academic penalty. If the request is submitted less than three (3) business days before the start date of the course, a refund cannot be processed.

What is Your Refund Policy?

UCSC Extension is a self-supporting organization, and we take your enrollment into account when deciding whether to run a course. We do not receive state funds to support our professional development programs. This policy is necessary for us to maintain the lowest possible fees for all students.

For these reasons, we are unable to offer refunds less than three (3) business days before the course start date.

If the refund deadline for a course has passed, a petition for exception may be submitted. It must be supported by special circumstances such as a personal or family illness, injury, or hospitalization. Proper documentation of the special circumstance is required. UCSC Extension reserves the right to approve or deny any such request.

Can I receive a certificate after completing one course?

We do not currently offer certificates after completing one course. If you wish to have proof of completion (for an employer, transfer to another institution, etc.), you may order an Official Transcript.

I’ve completed all of the program requirements. How do I receive my certificate?

First, be sure that you have Declared Candidacy for your program. A certificate may not be issued until that is done. Second, enroll in the Certificate Completion Review for your program and pay the $75 processing fee. Make sure that your mailing address is current in your Student Account. Please allow up to four weeks for the certificate to be processed and mailed out.

I missed the deadline to enroll and the course has already started. May I still enroll in the course?

It is highly encouraged for students to enroll at least a week in advance of the start of a course. Late enrollments may be granted if the second meeting or second week (online) of the course has not yet occurred and if the instructor allows for the exception within that timeframe. 

I have a related degree in the Certificate program that I wish to pursue and ten years of experience in the same or similar field, do I have to take the prerequisites in order to qualify for the program?

Prerequisite courses are highly recommended. However, it is up to the student to decide if the prerequisites would help them in the more advanced courses. If they already possess the knowledge-base that the prerequisites cover, then they may not need to take them. Some students still find them helpful as a refresher if they have not been exposed to the information in a very long time or come from a different background that uses a different set of terminology. There is no verification process for prerequisites.

How do I find my classroom for an in-person course?

When you enter the UCSC Extension building, you will see a TV monitor behind the front desk to your left which will list all the classes and classroom numbers that day. Follow the classroom number signs to locate your classroom.