Higher Authority, Higher Visibility, More Leverage
In addition to project managers who have mastered the fundamentals, Silicon Valley companies need senior project leaders with breadth, vision and strategic acumen to drive results across multiple initiatives as well as divisional, geographic, and cultural lines. Higher levels of responsibility requires:
- Command of the latest management science
- Application of decision support systems
- Facility with competitive scheduling methods
- Delivering business results while increasing productivity
- Achieving operational efficiencies that secure competitive advantage
The Advanced Applied Project Management Difference
The Advanced Applied Project Management (AAPM) certificate program at UCSC Extension Silicon Valley is designed to deliver precisely these mission-critical skills. You will interact first hand with leading experts in a dynamic environment, while learning:
- Clear-cut advanced applied techniques grounded in research-based theory
- How to set up and run a project management office in multi-dimensional operating environments
- Insights into negotiating the corporate political milieu
- The leverage and limitations of senior-level authority
Exclusive Accelerated Program for Our PPM Students
To give UCSC Extension students a leg up in the marketplace, as well as a substantial economic benefit, current participants in and graduates of our PPM certificate program are eligible to earn an accelerated certificate in Advanced Applied Project Management. By carefully selecting their PPM coursework, students can complete three of the four advanced electives and apply them toward both certificates. The AAPM certificate can then be earned by completing the five advanced required courses and the one remaining elective.
World-Class Instruction and Outstanding Educational Value
There are many reasons more students have earned project management certificates in our classrooms than elsewhere in Silicon Valley. Here are some you will experience in the Advanced Applied Project Management program:
- Nearly 120 hours of live instruction at a fraction of the cost of competitive programs
- A curriculum vetted and approved by the world-ranked UCSC Economics Department
- The ability to interact with some of the nation’s best project management educators
- An instructional team that includes one of the profession’s most published authorities
- A cadre of Silicon Valley practitioners possessing decades of field experience
Registrants must have already completed all four required courses in Project and Program Management (PPM). However, this means that students who are still completing their PPM electives may immediately begin working toward their AAPM Certificate.
The program is open to:
- Any applicant who has completed the basic PPM Certificate program
- Any applicant holding a comparable UC Project Management certificate
- Any applicant holding another Project Management certificate so long as the content of the program is substantially identical to UCSC Extension’s
Recommended Course Sequence
There is no specific course sequence for this program.
Certificate Application Information
We encourage you to establish candidacy in a certificate program early in your studies. There are substantial benefits in doing so:
- Curriculum changes subsequent to the date your application is received will not affect your course requirements.
- Candidates will be notified of updates or special opportunities related to the program
Business and Management Program Contact
Advanced Applied Project Management Certificate Requirements
Total: 8 courses
Required: 5 courses
Elective: 3 courses
C or better in all courses.
Timeline: Complete minimum units/courses within 3 years.
Note: Courses completed more than five years prior to date of certificate issuance cannot be used to fulfill requirements.
How to Apply
All course materials are distributed via our online learning platform, UCSC Extension Online. If you enroll for a course with online materials, you will receive an email with log in information.
Ready to Download? Log in to the Online Portal. Go to My Sites and click Resources and/or Lessons under Course Tools.
Don't have a log in yet? Visit our course materials page for details.
Click here for information about ordering textbooks.